Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Theology of a 4 year old

A Makai LeGrande production:

"Do you know how people were made?" asks Makai from the back seat of the car. He'll be five in a few months, but this is a topic rarely discussed at our house, so I'm curious what he'll say.

"No," I reply, "how were people made?"

"Dinosaurs made people," he says matter-of-factly.

"Really?" I respond.

"Yes," he continues, "the carnivores made people so they could eat us. But they all died before the people were born. But don't tell Chase," he says with a straight face. "He'll tell a lie and say that's not how people were made."

I assure him that I won't tell Chase, then I discover the story isn't over yet. That's usually the case with Makai. The story never ends when you think it's done. He's the master of false endings... many, many, many false endings in a single story.

Anyway, now he says, "Guess what?" and before I can respond he says, "I remember when I was in mom's belly. A dinosaur made me. It was really gross in there. It was like the inside of a dinosaur egg. I felt like a dinosaur in there. But then when I was born, I felt like a human like I was supposed to."

I've never heard that theory of the origins of humans before, although it's probably not the strangest theory out there.

2 comments:

  1. Jess, Can I hang out with Makai for one afternoon... I can just see him making me laugh the entire time! I just want to squeeze him!

    ReplyDelete